The History of the Hippodrome Theatre in Baltimore City.
Hippodrome Opening day 1914
   The Hippodrome opened in 1914 as a vaudeville house in the unit block of Eutaw Street. As vaudeville slowly began to lose it's appeal, the massive movie house changed over to movies, and continued with the movie policy until it closed in the 1980's.
Postcard shot of the Hip in the 1920's
Baltimore City had no fewer than 5 big movie houses years back. Just blocks away from the Hippodrome, north on Howard Street, was the Stanley Theatre, to the east, were the Century, New, Keith's , and Town Theatres. Downtown Baltimore was considered the place to shop and the area was always busy with shoppers. However, as movies succumbed to television, many of the old movie houses were torn down, and others converted to other uses. But the Hippodrome has continued to survive, and it's conversion into a Performing Arts Center gives Baltimore a chance to save a bit of it's history.
1950's shot of the Hippodrome
    Like many of the big downtown houses in Baltimore, the Hippodrome advertised a lot in Baltimore newspapers. Take a look at the ads through the years.

Hippodrome Theatre, downtown Baltimore 1980
details of the Hippdrome
  The Hippodrome in the 1980's.

marquee Hippodrome Theatre
renovations of the Hippodrome Theatre, Baltimore     2002 renovations of the Hippodrome.
Work being done on the Hippodrome
A banner in 2002 announcing the rebirth of the Hippodrome

Hippodrome Theatre being renovated
...............................................................................